Thursday, April 16, 2009

Origin of an old joke involving false teeth and being bombed?

Years ago, my mother told me about a thing she read in Reader%26#039;s Digest. Her father, a WW2 vet who served at the Espiritu Santo said that the incident occured at his camp. I%26#039;m wondering if anyone else has any info or even remembers the Reader%26#039;s Digest funny and when it was printed.





From memory, it goes like this:








On an advance base in the Pacific during the early stages of the war, one of the Army Air Corps bases was bombed late one night. In the midst of the bombing in one of the many foxholes in which the men huddled for safety, there was suddenly a commotion as the camp cook began to try and climb out of the hole. The men pulled him back in and the seargent with them berated the cook, %26quot;What the hell are you doing?%26quot;





%26quot;My Teeth! I need to get my false teeth!%26quot;





%26quot;What the hell do you think their dropping?%26quot; the seargent snorted, %26quot;Sandwiches?%26quot;








I%26#039;ve seen this reproduced as a joke elsewhere related to Iraq, but I know it originates from far earlier. Help?

Origin of an old joke involving false teeth and being bombed?
it a joke that why do you need ur teeth they are not dropping food that you need your teeth in smack dab in the middle of bombs.
Reply:I would imagine that the joke is as old as bombs themselves, but tracing the exact origin of _any_ joke is practically impossible - they travel by word of mouth for a long time before anyone every writes them down, so they are hard to trace to the source.





Rawlyn.



company

No comments:

Post a Comment